The adventure of trying to make a house a home that we built for our family of six plus some craft, home décor, recipes & any family fun we might have.

Tuesday 17 June 2014

Caramel Gluten Free Cookies

My children love cookies and its been ages since I've made a batch of cookies for them. So last week I set about making these Caramel Cookies for the kids just before I left to do school pick up. The plan was to have them finish cooking just as I was about to drive away, hopefully they would still be warm by the time we got home. However, what I got out of the oven was nothing like the picture in the recipe book. They looked terrible but they did taste nice and the kids seemed happy.


I posted this picture of my FLAT COOKIES on my Facebook Page and I also shared it with a few other blogging friends. Thankfully I had a few people give me some suggests on how to selvage my cookies. The suggestions made so much more sense as did reducing the cooking time and with these few piece of helpful information I was able to make some more Caramel Cookies. So here is my version of the Caramel Cookie, I hope you have the same success as I did the second time round.

Caramel Gluten Free Cookies
Ingredients:
110 grams butter, not to soft
110 grams brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 small egg
230 grams of gluten free self-raising flour
30 grams of cornflour (make sure it doesn't contain gluten)

Method:
1. Pre heat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until the mixture has changed colour slightly.
2. Add the syrup and egg and mix until its light and fluffy.
3. Mix in the flour and cornflour until a soft dough has formed and the texture is such that you can roll into tablespoon sized balls. It your dough is to soft add about 10 grams of flour until the dough has formed.
4. Place on a lined baking tray, 2cm apart and press each gently with a fork.
5. Bake for 7 minutes or until golden.
6. Cool completely before eating and enjoy with a glass of cold milk.

Gluten Free Cookies

I'm really happy with the how the cookies look. They kept there shape, they didn't melt all over the baking tray like the first batch and they were ready to eat five minutes quicker than the first batch. In my world that's a good thing because it means my kids are eating quicker and complaining less about been hungry. I'd love to hear about the disasters and the successes you've had when making cookies and cakes.

Megan

6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanice thank you for your lovely invitation to your link party. I'd love to link up my caramel cookie to your party. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh Mel these are so yummy. I'm making more this weekend especially with school holidays about to start. I can see a lot of cooking in my future while they're on holiday's.

      Delete
  3. Sounds wonderful! I'm not familiar with golden syrup though. What is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, Golden Syrup is a British ingredients which is very difficult to explain but I found this explanation that might help
      'Golden Syrup is a thick syrup with a very distinctive buttery taste... I've heard of people substituting it with corn syrup but I would say for recipes where it's the star of the show it's worth tracking down. I believe that there's a brand you might be able to find that's called Lyle's at Cost Plus Market OR at the local beer and wine brewing store. I got all this information from 2009 so it might not be relevant now.

      I hope this has helped you a little. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete