The adventure of trying to make a house a home that we built for our family of six plus some craft, home décor, recipes & any family fun we might have.

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Pet Rocks

A few weeks ago I was on Facebook when someone posted a picture of a family of Pet Rocks and I thought that it would be fun to have the kids make their own. I was lucky enough to already have all the supplies so it was as simple as sitting down and watching what the kids created. As you will know Quinlan is only two so he needed a lot of help but he did enjoy putting the glitter on his rock and he helped pass the googly eyes to me so that I could glue them on.
 
I'm sure that you all know what's needed to make a pet rock however, the kids used the following items to create their pet rock's:
  • good size rocks (not too big and not too small)
  • PVA glue
  • glitter
  • googly eyes
  • felt pens

As you can see you really don't need much in order to create these cute little pet's. However, there is one additional item I would use and that's hair spray or spray adhesive just so the glitter is protected. Once the PVA glue has dried (I'd leave it a few days) use the hair spray or spray adhesive and spray the entire rock lightly (I'd also leave the rocks to dry again so that they aren't tacky to touch). It was good to see the kids doing this mini craft project and it was a good way to fill in thirty minutes on a Saturday afternoon.
 
 
The children were going to name their rocks but they decided not too because they started fighting over who had the better name. I've come up this a neat idea of how we can preserve their pet rocks for years to come. This will also allow me to display them without been worried about the googly eyes or glitter been ruined by little people touching them, moving them and playing with them.
 
I'll share with you the project I create with the children's pet rocks in the coming weeks. Our calendar is really busy for the next few weeks what with Christmas approaching and school coming to an end for the year so I hope it doesn't take me too long to organise. So have you or your kids ever made pet rocks? We might just have to make a few more of these for our garden as it needs a little bit of happiness out there.
 
I have a heap of pictures to share with you in the coming day's and a post about what I got up to last weekend. First though I might catch up on some sleep first.
 
 Megan

4 comments:

  1. Arggg so fun, I need me some rocks Madeleine would love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cute and the best thing is they did it all themselves :) I just had to clean up the mess :(

      Delete
  2. The rockies look great. Good to see that it's a project that young children can also participate in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good craft project for the kids and they had fun. I might get them to make a Christmas pet. I'm sure they would make great Christmas table decorations :)

      Delete