The adventure of trying to make a house a home that we built for our family of six plus some craft, home décor, recipes & any family fun we might have.

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Healthy Lunch Box Fillers

It seems silly to be thinking about school lunches but I thought I'd test a few lunch box recipes out while the kids were on Easter holidays. I'm trying to limit the amount of hidden sugar that the kids are getting in their lunch box so this term I'm going to do more baking. The other week I found a recipe for these Yoghurt Apricot Cakes but I can't remember where I saw them and what's even better I didn't take any photos of the process.

So I'll share the recipe with you and the picture I took at the end before I had the kids come and taste them. I'm also looking forward to getting into our new house and trialling our new gas oven and taking advantage of the large bench area I'm going to have. So here is the recipe.

Ingredients
1 ¾ cups of plain flour
¾ cup of caster sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoons of baking soda
¾ cup of chopped, dried apricots
80g melted butter
2/3 cup of skim milk
2/3 cup of plain yoghurt (you could use a fruit yoghurt e.g. strawberry and add additional strawberries to make the cakes more fruity)
Icing Ingredients
2 tablespoons plain Greek yoghurt
1 ½ cups of icing sugar

Method
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Lightly grease 24 patty pans (2 tablespoon capacity) or line with paper cases. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and apricots.

2. In a small bowl, combine butter, milk and yoghurt. Pour into the dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Do not over mix.

3. Distribute batter evenly between cases and bake for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack before icing.

4. Once cooled you can freeze them inside a plastic bag or ice them.

5. Combine yoghurt and icing sugar in a bowl. Beat until thick and smooth. Add a small dollop of icing to each cake and finish off with a few pieces of dried apricot pieces.

6. ENJOY.



Megan

2 comments:

  1. These look so unique and delicious! Our Beautify It Monday link party is open now and we'd love for you to link this up!

    http://bringingbeauty.blogspot.com/2012/04/beautify-it-monday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sisters for the link party invite. I posted my little recipe and I also had a look at a few other links. My favourite was the wire ring its so cool. I may have to make a few for mother's day.

      Delete